Go to sleep 7 - Stay awake

Okay now she has finally lost it!

Nope, I actually haven't
No sleep for 4 days and nights makes me desperate! 

Mr. Sandman is not bringing me any dreams.
What to do?


I finally told myself, okay, if this is how it's going to be, so let it be. 
I decided to stay up as long, as I could, and instead I would go to bed the next evening. And the thought made me relax, there was no longer any pressure to go to sleep.

I tried to stay up and be physically active. Wash clothes, vacuum, walk the dog, do gymnastics. The dog took a nap, I usually rest at the same time (expected not to sleep, and didn't sleep at all).
Back to "work," clean the fridge etc.
My bf came home, we talked and had tea in the living room, before he jumped in the shower. I was supposed to find a movie for the evening.
When he came back from the shower, I had apparently fallen asleep, cause I woke up half an hour ago (I don't know if that will fit the publishing time if the post, don't ever rely on that).

Let's instead say:
I want to get up at 6, but during winter it's still dark, and I dislike that.
So I have set my schedule to around 8 am (remember I don't use alarm clock)
Today I woke up 3.30 am. 
That's too early yes, but I have slept, and I had a good sleep.
I'll continue to follow my schedule, but if I can't sleep, when I'm supposed to, within 30 minutes, I'll get up and continue to postpone it. 

I have never tried this one before, the next 14 days will show me, if this method works.

My theories about this lies in the pressure to fall asleep:
Don't you recognise that one? You toss and turn. "Don't look at the time, don't look, don't" - and ofcourse you do. And OMG it's 3.30. I have to get up in 4 hours... And repeat...

For me, I think, it is that pressure from when I was working. I had to get up in the morning, and stressed out if I couldn't fall asleep. Sometimes so bad the very thought could give me a panic attack.
Now I'm on sick leave. And since I have been that for so long, I'm actually fired and on sick leave. There's no pressure, no colleagues to worry about, no constant phone calls or emails in bulk you have to answer.
I have one job: to get better.
(And actually if I don't make it thru to the other side this time, I don't think it'll ever happen)
So to avoid the stress, pressure and tossing and turning in bed, I simply get up.

Aftermath:
It was certainly a relief not to have the pressure if faking asleep.
That alone have made me less stressed.
I currently fall asleep on odd times, but I try not to let that bother me.

If you try it yourself, you have to be aware though:
After 24 hours of no sleep;
Do not drive (it's as dangerous as drunk driving)

If you stay awake (too) long, you might feel the following "symptoms";
Dizzyness
Balance problems
Memory loss
Confusion
Depression gets worse
Anxiety and panic attacks can occur
Lack of appetite - force feed yourself if necessary (little finger sandwiches or anything)
Sight problems
Flickering sight
- and I'm sure, there's much more, this is just what I experienced myself.

But all in all, I felt it like a good option for me, it's better for me to get up, than to stress about falling asleep.
Sorry for the mix up in numbers, but when something suddenly comes to me, I choose to focus on that, so this post is not in accurate order (Ill fix that when ready for a summery).

0 kommentarer: