Arrival at the Mental Hospital

When you arrive at the Mental Hospital, it may look as the rest of the hospital OR it may be an old building. 
Try not to pay attention to the looks on the outside.


I don't know why the government seems to think it's a great idea to use old buildings for the Mental Health unit. 
Perhaps they think that the beauty of the old buildings is bringing some sort of piece in our minds.

When I take a look at these few pictures, I see the beauty of the buildings ofcourse.
However at my first arrival, dungeons, chains, electro shock, straight jackets and other horrible torture alike "treatments" came to mind.

No matter what they look like, inside they all look the same: as clinical as any other unit. When l saw that for myself, the scary thoughts about dungeons went straight away.
Now, when you get committed to a mental health institution, mental hospital or similar, there's certain procedures you have to go through.

Try not to be alarmed, this is only to protect you, other patients and the personnel. 

The rules may vary a bit depending on the particular hospital, but the following are quite common for the Hospitals I've been to.

You'll see a doctor quite quickly to establish if you are in immediate danger to self or others.
They'll check if you have drugs or alcohol in your system - if so, be prepared not to be allowed to leave the room, until you're sober.
They'll search thru all your stuff to check for any kind of medication, drugs or alcohol. They confiscate all that stuff, also prescription medication. (They'll give you, your medication and check that you take it.)
I always got my own medication back, when I was discharged.

Then you'll go thrugh the evaluation part of the hospital, where they supervise you to check what kind if disease you suffer from.
Depending on other patients illness, you may see stuff happen here, that you've  never seen before.
Don't be scared. Gosh I'm annoying when I tell you what to feel, that really helped you there, didn't it.
Of course you're scared. I was. Terribly.
But try not to worry. You won't be there for long. You'll be moved to another more peaceful part very soon.
At the evaluation part, I stayed mostly in my room. I was in a very low place and didn't feel up to do anything.
But I had my walk around a couple of times each day. I hope you don't get scared when I tell you to lay low when "socializing" at the evaluation unit.
You don't know what other people are suffering from.
The immediate most dangerous is the schizophrenics, cause when they come there, they are most likely off medication.
There was one guy that scared the Hell out of me. I said hello on the hallway once, he just looked at me without saying anything. It felt like a walking staredown.
He was followed around by personnel, and was moved fast to the part of the Mental Hospital I've never been to.
Before you start to get your fear in high gear, it's not as in the horror movies. There's no secrets about it, it's just a part of the Hospital, for very very sick people, so sick they should be "isolated."
Unless you just tried to kill someone for no reason, burned down several buildings, or something alike, you won't see that place ever.
You might be unfortunate and meet one scary person when just commited, but you'll be moved fast, and so will he/she.
You are never alone in there. There's personnel all over the place all the time. There's always one of them on the hallway, to check that people only enters their own room.
And remeber.... Most people are totally "normal". They are severely depressed, stressed out, scared as Hell, just like you perhaps. If something should happen, I've seen other patients step in each time.

Soon you'll be moved to the unit of the hospital, that treats the particular disorder, that you're suffering from. This is most often a relief. Now you should focus on the treatment they give you and the safety they provide. Nothing can reach you in there.
When you get a bit better, and if you behave like a normal decent person, you'll be allowed to do more and more stuff.
What do I mean by that(?)
In the beginning you can expect the doors are locked. You can't get out. This might seem a bit severe, but just go with it. Don't be alarmed. If you were at home, anxiety most likely stops you from going out the doors at home anyway.
Try to see it as a relief.
You don't have to shop for groceries, you don't have to cook to get a decent meal. You don't go to work, so just leave your phone on silent, relax and let sleep take you safely. Cause you can do that now, there's nothing getting to you in there.
If you are scared of others in the beginning, you can ask the staff to lock your door. Then you just call them by pushing the button.
I don't socialize at the first part of the commitment. You can't be sure what part of the hospital they move you to, after your evaluation, so I prefer not to find "friends" there.
Besides you don't know what diagnosis the other patients have.
If you have something to read and most likely a laptop or similar, you can get thru the day. (See Hospital Packing Checklist)
But when moved, and as you start to feel better, I always found a couple of friends  that I liked to hang out with.
A little word if precaution though; don't take risks. Chose your friends wisely.
Getting outside in the beginning will most often be in companionship with staff. But soon you'll be able to get out alone.
I forgot to get candy one night, and I was really craving, my body had been starving.
No one had time to go with me to the vending machines.
I was allowed to go for 15 minutes.
There you go. But careful now, this is also a test. A test to see if you keep your promises. So be back in 15 minutes, not a second later.
The next time I was allowed more time. 
Once I couldn't make it back (I was getting clothes from home. But when I got there, my house had been robbed, and I had to wait for the police.) So I called the hospital and told them, and it was okay.
They kept an eye on me, mostly cause I was sad, but I used my friends to talk to. I didn't need the staff.

It can feel scary to be locked up. But as you see, it's over before you know it.
If your option is to stay alone or get committed, I would most certainly go. If you are too scared, then talk with friends, family or groups online. I know it's terrifying the first time. I've been there several times, and hey, I'm still alive, I've never seen a rubber room :-) or a straight jacket:-).
I'm fine, free and able to talk about it.

Please feel free to write any question directly to me (just use the form at this blog) I'll answer the question in public on this blog to help others as well, without mentioning your name at all ofcourse.
Take care out there, sometimes we need professionals, that's not anything to be ashamed about.
It would be a shame though, if we live our lives in misery, without trying to fight to get better!

0 kommentarer: