My own reactions on low blood sugar

Bring it to the test when ready!
That's kind of what "the Farmer" started out to do. 
Now I do the same, when I read or hear something, that might seem as a solution on one or reaccuring problems.

Ofcourse she has already done this test, but as she said: "for further purpose, it's at great idea to at least double the test subjects" and then she laughed. Ofcourse she's right, a one person test is not a test, but a personal experience.

And I beg you always to remember that none if us have any medical education at all. This blog is build as a diary on my personal experiences and nu personale research.
Who says I'm right(?)
Nobody, definately not me.
But I don't want to live in slavery of anxiety, panic attacks and the darkness of depression.
I want to be free. And since nothing else has helped me to get this far, I'm staying with our "theory."
After all, who says the doctors are right? They performed lobotomy until early 1950's.

The third party in our "triangle" is not ready to work with the disease like this yet, she won't be participating right now.

Always be sure you are "ready" to fight, otherwise it'll just end up bad or in worst case: setting you back.
Why I do it?
It's not to have an experiment to write about, in that case I have way more interesting stuff to share.
But in my case it is a matter of finding my limits. And how it feels, when I go further than that.
When I know my limits, I know what to avoid. In a situation I'll also know the difference between a real anxiety attack and a drastic drop in my blood sugar.
I packed an army back pack, which itself has a weight of 3.5 kg. Stuffed it with my hiking gear, and for extra weight; some plastic bottles filled with water.
And then just out with the dog to the forest, to get my bloodsugar to drop. My bf was with me, so I could go all in.
We were just walking as usual, but when I felt tired, we kept on walking and playing with the dog.
There's several benefits of having someone to join you. Not only for safety, but also to observe.
The first thing happening was my sight. I started to focus more direct on stuff, not noticing much else, than the particular thing I was looking at.
I played less with the dog, the further we walked. I started to be silent, first answering short, then just yes/no, finally just nodding/shaking my head.
My hands were more in my face and I felt very warm and was sweating a lot. And I do mean a lot. It was running off me, not just in my face and under the arms, but all over. I felt the drops running down my chest and stomach, almost like I was melting.
(Under normal circumstances, I don't sweat like that. I get moist at worst).

So sight and perspiration is affected at that point.
I started to feel more uncomfortable. My heart started pounding, my sight got worse. It was like it was flickering in front of my eyes.
With less and less functional eyesight, tension in my body was building. I started to be scared to fall, and anxiety was finally triggered, when I thought I was falling into a steep hole. When I felt it, it was almost "oh hello, THERE you are. I was wondering, when you would stop by."
The interesting part here is also, that when anxiety kicked in, it "overstayed it welcome." I could not make it leave my body for the rest if the trip. Even when I was not really scared, it was just like a resting computer: touch the mouse and the screen is on immediately. I couldn't turn off the quick start button anymore.

Now also anxiety is triggered and "ready for immediate function."
(Sorry I don't really have a better way to describe it)
Not much further shaking set in. We kept walking, but anxiety was growing.
"Are we doing this", my bf wanted to be sure.
Damn could he please shut up. Just giving me the question made me stubborn, so it took a couple of kilometres longer.

Now I had the following symptoms:
my chest was hurting (not caused by walking, but anxiety)
I couldn't breathe.
My heart was pounding so hard, I could hear the sound of my pulse in my ears.
I was shaking all over and dragged a river of sweat behind me.
My eyesight was really blurry and
My balance was bad, as if I didn't know how to stand on a ship
My coordination of my legs was no longer  100%
All the above can be in a description of an anxiety attack, but it wasn't.
It was terribly unpleasant, but it was NOT an anxiety attack.
No matter how much I tried, no matter how much further we walked on shaking legs, I could not even trigger an attack.
However....
Remember: I had all my safety net there. My dog, my bf, and I knew, what I was doing.
If I, on the other hand, had been alone. Alone and knowing, I had to be able to drive home.
Known that nobody would find me soon, if I passed out...
Then I'm very sure that I would not even have to try to trigger an attack.
It would come faster than normal, and be almost unbeatable for a person, who experiences this terrible disease for the first time.
The Farmer confirms my theory, and added "metal taste" in your mouth and "muscle spasms" to the list of possible effects.
I have previously always brought something to eat and drink, cause it often helps, if i feel uncomfortable.
Well, that "uncomfortable" may not be caused my my stomach surgerys, like I thought, but by anxiety!!!

My conclusion of my first try out on blood sugar levels effect on anxiety and panic attacks is: it absolute us a big factor if not a headline in itself."
You most definately can get an anxiety attack from drastic drop in blood sugar.
Panic attacks can't really be used in fighting anxiety, it's like the endstation. If you win, you beat down anxiety, if not it attacks you back. So that's actually the worst that will happen, when doing the test.
Before you run out one stuff your backpack full of bricks, please remember how much experience I have with this disease. I know exactly what an anxiety attack feels like, I have experienced it thousands of times.
If you have just been diagnosed with anxiety, this is not at test for you, but:

Instead you can use the experience and recommendations we find during our personal tests. Take whatever you can that you like and find helpful. Leave the rest a side,  if it's not good for you. None of us has the exact same reaction to the same situation. Everybody is different, so what works for me, might frighten you terribly,  and visa versa.

This goes for all of us, me included ofcourse;
I recommend you always bring food and drink and also some chocolate bars and/or bonbons.
The chocolate is mainly to rise blood sugar fast, when you have forgot to eat enough.
It's not that the sugar in chocolate is absorbed faster in your body, (there's no such thing as fast and slow sugars). But a little chocolate contains more sugar than a little piece of carrot, so it's a way to get more sugar into your body fast, by eating a little.
If you have a fine appetite, you're better off with a sandwich, unfortunately mental problems and lack of appetite often goes hand in hand.

If you wish to lower your blood sugar in general, do it slow.
Don't jump on "lower your blood sugar in a week or 10 days"-instructions.
You'll most likely get anxiety attacks on top of each other.
Lower it slower (sounds like a new dumb slogan, huh)
Do it little by little. Unless you are living really unhealthy, it won't take 'forever.'
If you take sugar in your coffee/tea, stop that. Live like that for a week, the cut off another thing, or change it to something better.

So to sum up;
Remember to eat a little, often
Allways bring food and drink
Maintain a steady blood sugar level
Anxiety attacks can be low blood sugar in disguise
If you know your anxiety attacks and decide to try this out, do yourself and me a favor and bring another person to the "drop party" at least the first time.

And afterwards please share your experience with us, thank you :-)

0 kommentarer: