Living with Anxiety - Maslows Pyramid of needs

As I described in another post "Make friends with your anxiety", I won't say we are friends, but during time I have developed some tools, survival techniques, which other people could find useful themselves.
I talked about a pyramid of needs, Maslows Pyramid, and I promise, I won't go into a theoretical painting of the anxiety.
It is however useful to figure out, when deciding, what survival techniques, that works for you.

Maslows Pyramid of needs is a schematic way of looking at the needs of a human beeing. 
Starting at the bottom with the most basic needs, to the top to totally fulfill the needs of a functioning human beeing. 
Perhaps it would be more natural to start from the top of the pyramid, but just as a building, we cant get to the top and lay on the roof, before the foundation is finctional.


1st layer: (bottom, foundation) physical needs

At the bottom we have the most essential needs to excist:
  • air
  • food
  • water
  • sleep
  • sex
We could argue, that sex is not necessary, but as for humans as a species, we need to procreate. Its sex, not love - which is also why I use a blue heart to symbolize this.

2nd layer; safety, security

We need protection from the elements (house/shelter), safety from outside dangers, good health, financial (job) security, etc. All in all we need to feel safe.

3rd layer; contact

Surprisingly (for me) the extrovert needs like 
  • contact with other people 
  • to be a part of a family / a group of friends
  • conversation
  • intimacy
  • love 
- comes in 3rd.
However when you think about it, if you are dying of thirst (1st layer), or are being chased by wild animals (2nd layer) - who gives a s*** about decent conversation(?)

4th layer; self esteem

Pretty self explanatory - I don't plan to get in dept with that, for now at least.

5th layer; self realization

Pretty self explanatory - I don't plan to get in dept with that, for now at least.

To sum it up, this was a very very short description of the Maslow Pyramid of Needs. 
I'll explain more about the survival techniques I use to live a life with anxiety, based on this pyramid since its actually a pretty good starter point.

0 kommentarer: