Living with anxiety 2 - safety

I treat all subjects in the 2nd line of Maslows Pyramid of Needs a bit the same, since they are so much alike.
To feel safe, we need shelter from the weather and dangers. We need a "cave" to protect us from all outside influence of our wellbeing. We also need to feel the safety to be able to get help, if needed.
I think the main thing to focus on in regards to anxiety and depression is in short: "safety/security."
I tend to crawl into my safe spot. Here I have the upper hand, if I need to.



I pile up pillows in the corner of the sofa, and arrange my blankets etc on the long end, from where I can reach the table, with food and drinks and watch the tv. 
If it's very cold outside, I have the fireplace in the corner.

I have arranged everything close by, so I almost don't have to move away from my safe spot.
Here I eat, drink, sleep, try to relax and watch tv/read, try to do my breathing exercises, when panic attacks hit with full force.

If you notice, there's actually a door right next to my Safe Spot. It was a problem, even though the door was locked. But then I turned it to my advantage...

I got some blinds to hang in front of the windows part of the door. If someone drives into the farm, I can carefully bend the blinds to see, who is coming.
Even though the door was locked, I got freaked out, if strangers tried to open the handle. So on a good day I found a piece of wood to fixate the doorhandle - now there's definitely no one getting thru there.

All in all, I have made a way to survive, when the world is a "bad" place for me - and the stuff that was not working, I made it work to my advantage.
And if we can do that...
If we can learn to work with the disease, then we have reached a positive point in our healing. 


0 kommentarer: