How does it feel to have a panic attack?

Panic attacks, aka anxiety attacks, often come suddenly and almost without warning.
A panic attack ofcourse feels slightly different depending on the persons you ask, but most symptoms and feelings are the same.

When I felt an anxiety attack the first time, I literally thought I was dying.
My heart was pounding so hard, I could hear the heart beat in my ears. My chest started to tighten more and more, like I had an elephant sitting on me. I gasped for breath, I was sure I was having a heart attack.

The above was my first experience with a panic attack. Since then I have had an uncountable number of attacks, and none has been totally the same.
I have unfortunately experiences a lot of attacks, I start to feel more and more each time. I recognise the feeling and try to get behind it to see, what actually lies there, that may cause the attacks.

With the experience also comes an ability to foresee an attack. I don't notice it each time, but as I learn to recognise the feelings AND pay attention to them, I have discovered that I can predict it. Not within hours, but sometimes I get almost 10 minutes to get prepared.
I actually learned this from our dog!
There it is again.
Pay attention.
Notice your feelings, what will for sure trigger a panic attack(?)
When you know more about yourself, your reactions and your body's reactions, you have something to work with.

This is a movie clip of an anxiety attack. It's very bad, so lucky for all its also very short.
I think however, that it paints an okay picture of an attack.
But more important, it shows exactly what I do, when I'm not in my safe spot. 
I take my hands up to cover my ears and sight, to avoid as many sounds and visions as possible. By having my hands covering my face, I find it more easy to go inside myself and calm myself down with diversion technique.

I also squat down, cause I get dizzy and I'm scared to faint or fall.
And then I simply sit there, trying to control my breathing and to get the upper hand of my feelings.
It's a bad short clip, but I thought you should see it, cause it describes my survival techniques for panic attacks very precise. 
The bigging of the attack - the dizziness - the attempt to cover your face to shut out everythingh around you - sitting down sqating, to prevet yourself from squating.
It goes very fast in the video, but actually also in real life. Try to see if you notice the signs and if you can relate to this. (Ill try to get a better video, when I can)



0 kommentarer: