Dissociating / Diversion

I've thought about the difference between dissociation and diversion. It may seem a bit alike, but in fact it's two totally different subjects. I've made some notes from a lot of reading, cause I think it's important to know the difference.

Dissociation
- when the mind and body "splits into two"...
To be able to move focus from what's hurting, whether it's a psychological of physical pain. Some people can handle extreme pain by dissociation. 

A sort of a controlled out of body experience.
Dissociative mental disease is a very serious disease. (If dissociation happens uncontrolled and unexpected and perhaps even unknowingly)
When I refer to it in this blog, it's the use if the positive side of dissociation. Some claims it's possible, some claims it's not.
I only know from own experience, that it works for me, but requires a lot of training to be good at it.
Will I ever master it? No, of that I'm absolutely sure. I can't master my own mind completely - if that was possible: what takes over when the mind beats itself?
Dissociation is hard and I mainly use it when I hurt during surgery without anaesthetic. Or at the dentist for instance.
During very hard days with panic attacks on top of each other, it can help, but it takes time to get into a dissociative state, so breathing exercises (diversion) is much better for me.
Diversion
- (in this case) do something else, take a detour, distract yourself by focusing on something else.
This is much more easy to practise and more easy to understand. We all know it: distract yourself and focus on that.
Now - what I wanted to do with it - was to find a way to use it to my advantage, to get thru a "normal" day.
I think I have succeded in some areas, there's still a lot to learn.
But fact is, once again, knowledge is power. When you understand what's going on, it's a bit less frightening. And when you slowly start to figure out which tools to use to fight it, you have come a long way. I guess it's a matter of fine tuning the procedure until it fits perfectly.

0 kommentarer: