My sons birthday: going out is a struggle

My son had chosen to go bowling and after that, we should have dinner at a Chinese restaurant on his birthday. So we all dressed up and went to the bowling center. I felt the normal slight anxiety getting in there with all the other people, but I just had to, and tried not to look anybody in the eyes.
Already at the counter, it started, since the owner of the center has children that goes to school with my children. So she asked, if I was starting to feel better, and I didn't really knew what to answer - so I just told her, as it is, that "I have to accept that it will take a long time."
During bowling, suddenly a guy comes up to me and asked, if I was not from work? First then I recognized him - there has been so many different people at work lately, since we are building heavily.
So there it was - bye bye anonymity, and I didn't feel totally good about that.

Later at the restaurant, we got a table in the middle of the room. That was nice enough, but then more and more people came in, and during the first course I felt the panic attacks coming. So my son quickly ordered a bill and we had to go home.

I felt like a complete failure, however the Psychiatric Team has told me to look at the positive in this experience, and also learn from it. I had a good time (sort of) in the bowling center - but forcing myself to do both the restaurant visit and the bowling, that was apparently too much right now.

After that day I was completely wasted, and slept a lot. It for sure takes all your energy to fight anxiety.

0 kommentarer: