Smoothies and au revoir to bad mood

I've been so sad, angry, tired and irritable lately, that I thought winter depression or seasonal affective disorder had hit me.

I refuse to be so negative all the time, it doesn't make anything better anyway. So I'll force myself into a better mood and then: let's have a talk about smoothies.


My smoothie production has slowly started now, there was a lot of preparations to do, before I could take the first sip.
So with "the farmer" standing on the sideline (aka almost standby on skype) I managed to do a lot of preparations.

The expensive juices I freeze in cubes and stuff them in a marked bag.
For the smoothies I bought, it's mainly storebought pomegrate juice.
Orange juice and lemon juice I squeeze myself and freeze it, to make sure, the fruits don't go bad, before I use them.

So lesson 1: freeze all liquids in cubes.


Fruits like Bananas and Mango for instance, I also cut in cubes or slices and freeze them.
Berries is normally already frozen, when bought this time of year.
Spices like ginger for instance, is very strong. I peel the root and make very thin slices, also for the freezer.

So lesson 2: cut up and store fruits I the freezer if possible


Some fruits and vegetables has a consistency, that you won't enjoy even after a good blending.
There a you can blend with a bit of water, sif it, and use the liquid as juice. (Celery for instance creates some long hairy strings, that's really not joyable) You can use this leftovers for baking.

Lesson 3: some fruits and vegetables must be juiced. I crush them with water in the blender and pour it through a sif, to "juice" them. (Or you can use a juicer, if you have one.)

And 4: Some greens and fruits cannot be frozen, so those we have to use asap. This does not really matter, since all other ingredients are frozen.


These are the little - but valuable - advice I got. So I've spend some days to prepare bags of vegetables, fruits and juices.
The work is not a heavy job, it just took me a long time, since we were sick and had no energy, when I started my preparations..

My depression/anxiety smoothie consists of
Pommegranate juice
Banana
Strawberries
Lemon juice
Lemon balm

It tastes great. I'm still working on refining the mixture, but these are the basic components.
There's an uncountable number of smoothie recipes out there, that claims to heal this and that. 
No matter what - it's stuffed with vitamins and minerals - so no matter what we do, we know, we do no harm.

I'll publish my favorite smoothie recipes when they are brushed off. Until then: have fun making your own :-)

0 kommentarer: